Scandic’s Sustainability Manager Inger Mattsson has been asked by The Natural Step to speak at two seminars in Japan from October 15 to 16. Scandic has been invited to present its successful work in the area of sustainability, according to a press release issued by the hotel chain.
Scandic will be showcased as a good example to hundreds of business leaders in Tokyo and Kyoto. Sustainability advisor The Natural Step has organised the seminars intended to inspire Japanese business leaders to be successful in sustainable business practices. Inger Mattsson, Scandic’s Sustainability Manager, will explain how Scandic drives sustainable business and present Scandic’s successful concept.
“We are happy that we can share our experiences in the area of sustainability with business leaders in Japan and also glad that we will take new influences home with us,” says Mattsson.
The hotel chain has one of the leading sustainability programmes in the industry, which means that sound environmental, financial and social aspects are reflected in the decisions made daily in the company’s operations.
“We have been advising Scandic since the 1990s and the hotel chain is a pioneer in sustainability, which has introduced many successful initiatives in the areas of environmental and social responsibility over the years, so it feels natural that they should inspire others,” says Karin Schulz, General Secretary at The Natural Step.
According to Scandic the hotel chain is the industry leader when it comes to sustainability and was named the most sustainable hotel operator for the fifth year in a row according to a Sustainable Brands survey of Swedish consumers. Since 1993, Scandic has conducted business based on its best in class sustainability programmes.
Scandic’s sustainability programme includes the following at all hotels:
– All employees receive sustainability training
– Scandic measures and reports on energy and water use as well as waste production on a monthly basis
– Scandic carries out at least three activities per year to improve the local community
– Scandic hotels are certified by the Nordic Ecolabel
– Scandic hotels serve organic food and only Fairtrade and UTZ Good Origin certified coffee
– Additionally, Scandic has built sustainability into its purchasing and development of all products and services
Photo: Inger Mattsson, Scandic Hotels’ Sustainability Manager. Photograph from Scandic Hotels